If you're new to Christ Church, or exploring the Christian faith, you might find some of the information below useful:
At the heart of the Christian faith is Jesus. In our services and activities at Christ Church we want to get to know Him better and make Him better known. Christians believe that through Jesus, the God-Man, we have a bridge to God, and the full revelation of God.
Our services reflect different styles of worship from formal Book of Common Prayer to informal, family-friendly styles. But the goal of all our services is to encounter God in Christ by the power of the Holy Spirit and through His Word, the Bible. Once a month at the 10.30am service, we have a communion service where we share in bread and wine.
What time should I arrive for a Sunday service and what happens in the service?
- We recommend you arrive 10 or 15 minutes before the service is due to begin.
- If you are coming by car, there is limited parking in the Church car park which, on Sundays, is available on a first come first served basis.
- The entrance to the buildings is via the glass doors between Church and halls.
- If you're not sure where to sit in Church, please ask a steward to help you.
- During the service, the service leader guides everyone through what to do.
- The morning service always includes hymns, usually led by a pianist and other musicians, prayer and a talk and once a month Holy Communion is held. You don't have to take part in anything you don't want to.
- If you are coming for the first time, please introduce yourself to a welcomer or a member of the clergy, as we would love to meet you. We have a welcome desk just inside the church and you'll always find someone there after the 10.30am service who can answer questions and provide information about church activities.
- It would be great if you could fill in a welcome card (available at the end of each row of chairs in church) if you would like us to get in touch. Hand it in at the desk, or to a member of staff.
Are there activities for my children?
Yes! We have a thriving Children's & Youth ministry which runs four fun and busy groups for 0-14s during the 10:30am service in term time:
- Mini-Ark for babies and children aged up to 3 years. Come a little earlier if you wish to register your child here for the 10:30am service.
- The Ark for pre-school children aged 3-5 years.
- PromiseLand for children in school years 1 to 5.
- Breakfast Club for young people in school years 6 to 9.
Children and youth aged 3-14 usually leave the service for their groups after the first few minutes, and return when tea and coffee is being served. Parents collect their children from Mini Ark after the service.
How long is the service?
The 8:00am service is 45 minutes long, other services are usually 60 to 75 minutes long.
Do I have to make a donation?
There are collection boxes near the church door. These are used by members of the congregation to give financially in support of the work of the church, and in worship of God. There is no expectation that guests or newcomers should make a donation, but equally, we are pleased to receive a donation if you wish to give.
What should I wear?
Please wear whatever you feel comfortable in. God doesn't judge the outward appearance, but the heart!