Home | About | Our History
The Church was built in 1845, as a daughter Church of St Giles, South Mimms, to serve the rapidly expanding population of Barnet at that time. It became a parish church in 1853.
The church was built to a design of Sir Gilbert Scott, consisting of the nave and chancel. The north aisle was added ten years after the opening of the Church to accommodate the growing congregation. A little later the gallery was added for orphans of the Crimean War.
The first Vicar was Revd. William Pennefather.
The Church Patronage Society has been our patron since 1919 and their trustees appoint the Vicar here.
Our Church School
In 1845 the school was established to serve the children of the parish, in a time when nearly all schools were founded by their local churches. With the advent of community schools, Christ Church School's role has changed to serve families who live near the school, and who desire a Christian education for their children.
It has been in existence for over 170 years, with the School, Church and Vicarage having been constructed on St. Albans Road, Barnet in 1844. The school moved to its present site in Byng Road in 1957 and stands in extensive grounds surrounded by playing fields. In 2009 Christ Church Foundation Unit incorporating the Nursery and Reception classes was opened adjacent to the school. For more details and current news of the school please follow this link